Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Antiguan Mother..... Celebrating Women

Yesterday Was International Woman's Day March 8th

Actually every day is a day to celebrate woman. I am going reflect on the role of one special Woman - My Mother

I'll let my poem tell the story.
Pepperpot ….A Caribbean Woman’s Story… Poems for the stage
Copyright © 2007, Fransene Massiah-Headley



Dear Mommy:

Dear Mommy
I’m sitting here in a cold apartment, in this big city
Working hard, hard on my PhD, yet, thinking about the family
For the tutors want me to chronicle, how I was raised.
It’s then I realized that Caribbean women deserved to be praise.
You are my number one nominee
I’m proud to call you my mommy
For I remember on your knees I used to be
Listening to the stories about Annancy.
You walked for miles selling, with heavy load on your head
You did all that, before all nine of us were out of bed.
I remember you were constantly busy
I now know to you, the family was the priority.
When the money for clothes was not enough
You skillfully recreated new ones from the family’s old stuff.
I remember the day when daddy died
You became our strength, you never cried.
I now know of the pain and grief you did hide
To ensure that our pain would quickly subside.
I remember on your plate it was always less
While we all went to bed knowing we were fed the best.
I extol you now as the best nurse, judge, story teller,
Preacher, teacher, history keeper,
Breadwinner, never-ending provider,
Extremely happy to have you as Mother
For you shine brightly as my exemplar.
Take care now we’ll soon be together
Much love! From an honoured daughter.



Those are the Women we should celebrate.

No comments: